The 2022 IDea Incubator is now accepting applications through August 26 (click to read full press release). Last year, the 2021 IDea Incubator was hosted in collaboration with Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS and took place virtually during the IDWeek conference. The event featured innovators across all fields, from infectious diseases professionals to entrepreneurs.
A pitch-style competition, IDea Incubator encourages innovators and early-stage ventures with original inventions, products and ideas with the potential to improve ID care to share their ideas with the ID community and judges in the business, medicine and technology industries.
Are you interested in the latest innovations in the field of infectious diseases? Watch the 2021 IDea Incubator competition on demand!
Application deadline extended! Please submit your application to Foundation@idsafoundation.org by August 26, 2022.
- The IDSA Foundation, its affiliates and sponsors are not responsible for any intellectual property submitted and/or presented at any time for its IDea Incubator program during IDWeek 2022. Any individual, group, organization or company is solely responsible for securing intellectual property protection. Learn how to secure your intellectual property by reviewing our resources below.
- IDea Incubator applicants are not required to be registered for IDWeek. Finalists are required to register for IDWeek once they have accepted to participate in the live IDea Incubator session. This includes scientific attendees, exhibitors, invited speakers and guests.
- Applications will be reviewed after the application cut-off date. An incomplete application will be disqualified. See the important dates section.
- Accepted presenters will be notified by the week of Sept. 15, 2022. This information will include the presenter(s) rehearsal and presentation times. If accepted but unable to present, then a 30-day notice is required.
- Presentations will be up to 5 minutes in length, followed by a 5-minute-long question and answer period with the judges.
- A winning idea will be chosen by the judges. Cash prizes will be awarded to all finalists. 1st place will receive $10,000, 2nd place will receive $5,000 and 3rd place will receive $2,500.
- The statement of the problem/unmet need is well defined and articulated (scale of the problem, quantified number of patients, money spent on health care costs, societal costs).
- The target population is clearly defined and quantified.
- The innovation has the potential to solve the problem/meet the needs of the target population. The solution is economically viable (i.e. won’t be too expensive to be accessible).
- The expected health impact is reasonably estimated. The solution to the problem is novel and innovative.
- Applications Open: Tuesday, May 17, 2022
- Applications Close: Friday, August 26, 2022. Extended Deadline!
- Applicants and Finalists Notified: Week of September 15, 2022
- LIVE 2022 Competition: Thursday, October 20 during IDWeek in Washington, DC
SECURING YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The following articles may assist with securing intellectual property. Many other sources are available on the internet:
- “How to Protect Your Product or Idea When Pitching It to a Company.” The Wall Street Journal, 3 September 2008, http://guides.wsj.com/small-business/running-a-business/how-to-protect-your-product-or-idea-when-pitching-it-to-a-company/
- Fitzsimmons, Kelly. “10 Ways to Protect Your Intellectual Property.” Inc., 19 September 2012, https://www.inc.com/kelly-fitzsimmons/ten-ways-to-protect-your-intellectual-property.html